Warm up on this chilly winter day by whipping up Catherine Fulvio’s coconut and butternut squash soup recipe with caramelised leeks.
Catherine Fulvio’s coconut and butternut squash soup recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner. It has a fragrant and aromatic mixture, and is sure to feel like a hug in a bowl. Just what we need at this time of year…
You will need:
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
2 large potatoes, chopped
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp mild curry powder
½ red chilli, finely sliced
800ml vegetable stock
400ml coconut milk
For the caramelised leek
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp Siúcra golden granulated sugar
1 leek, sliced in julienne
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cream, for garnishing
Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Heat a saucepan with a little oil, add the butternut squash, onions and potatoes, cumin, curry powder and red chilli, salt and pepper and sauté for about 4 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook until the vegetables are soft. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and simmer for about 8 minutes. Check the seasoning, adding salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
To prepare the caramelised leeks
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan and add the leek and Siúcra golden granulated sugar and cook on low for about 6 to 7 minutes until caramelised. Check the seasoning adding salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- When ready to serve, ladle the soup into soup bowls, spoon on some cream, add the caramelised leeks to each bowl.
- Sprinkle over coriander leaves to serve.