Perfect for brunch or breakfast, Clodagh McKenna’s Don Carlos baked eggs recipe has fast become one of our weekend staples
Speaking about the recipe, Clodagh says: “I love baked eggs for supper at any time of the year. They are one of my go-to suppers (or brunch) recipes that I make when I am a bit pooped after a long day as they are so fast and easy to prepare.
“There are so many variations that you can make. My favourite is tomato-based and spiced with harissa, like the one I am sharing with you today, or you can use fresh chilli or chilli flakes to spice them up instead. I’ve added spinach, but you could add kale or sliced steamed broccoli. Some of my other variations are smoked salmon mixed with fresh, chopped chives, cream and a grating of nutmeg mixed together and poured over the cracked eggs.
“Of course, the quality of the eggs is very important to how well this dish will taste. Pick some up at your local farmers’ markets or buy organic from the supermarket.”
Clodagh McKenna is currently brand ambassador for Don Carlos. Find more of her recipes, created exclusively for Don Carlos here Doncarlos.ie.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
You will need:
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g tinned cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 6 black olives, chopped
- 20g baby spinach
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Brush two oven-proof dishes with olive oil.
2. In a bowl, mix together the tinned cherry tomatoes, harissa paste, black olives, spinach and feta and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir well so that all the ingredients are combined.
3. Spoon ¼ of the mixture into each dish and crack two eggs on top of each one. Next spoon the rest of the mixture into the dishes using a spoon to disperse the mix around the eggs.
4. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes.