This crab salad recipe from Gill Meller is a fun take on the farm to fork ideology
Farm to fork is not a new notion, but Gill Meller’s cookbook goes a step further and divides ingredients up into the areas they come from – be it farm, seashore, orchard or woodland. It’s a great reminder to be more mindful of what we eat, and a fun way to plan recipes. We love this crab salad recipe from the ‘shore’ section.
You will need:
- 200g freshly picked spider crab white meat, and brown (optional)
- 1 small punnet of ripe loganberries or raspberries (about 100g)
- A few roughly torn fennel tops
- A few fennel flowers, if available
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pick over the crab meat to make sure there are no traces of shell.
- On a large serving platter, or over two individual plates, scatter over the fresh white crab meat and dot over the brown meat, if using.
- Roughly chop the loganberries or raspberries in half, and place them in and around the crab meat.
- Scatter over the fennel tops and the flowers (if using), drizzle over the olive oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and black pepper. Bring to the table with freshly toasted sourdough to serve.
Taken from Gather by Gill Meller (Quadrille). Photos by Andrew Montgomery
Read more: Roasted Eggplant Salad Recipe