One pot dinners are our mid-week favourites, and none more so than this cauliflower mac and cheese recipe from Donal Skehan. Big on flavour, low on hassle, it’s the perfect combination!
Speaking about his cauliflower mac and cheese recipe, Donal says: “A one-pot take on an American childhood classic that delivers on cheesy, creamy indulgence. I’ve added cauliflower, not as a vague attempt at making this feel somewhat healthy, but simply because it works! Think of this as a cauliflower cheese meets mac & cheese in a glorious one-pot hybrid!”
You will need:
- 1.4 litres full-fat milk
- 350 g macaroni
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 150 g mature Cheddar, grated
- 125 g grated mozzarella
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Put the milk and macaroni into a shallow casserole dish and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for a further 5 minutes until both cauliflower and pasta are tender and the sauce is thickened, reduced and coating the pasta.
- Add the butter, cheeses and mustard and cook, stirring, over a low heat until the cheese has melted. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high.
- Put the casserole under the hot grill to brown all over then serve straight away.
Taken from Meals in Minutes by Donal Skehan