If you’ve never heard of it before then prepare to have your culinary world blown! Gado gado is a simple Indonesian street food staple. It translates as medley and is basically a salad made up of whatever veg you have to hand tossed in peanut sauce. And it is delicious! Here’s Rukmimi Iyer’s one dish recipe.
Speaking about his gado gado recipe, Rukmimi Iyer says: “This is probably my favourite dish in the book – roast potatoes with a spicy peanut dressing and green veg – what’s not to like? It’s been a hit with all my recipe testers too.”
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
You will need:
1kg Charlotte potatoes, halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
240g green beans
A handful of fresh coriander, to serve
For the dressing:
50g crunchy peanut butter
80ml coconut milk
30ml lime juice
1½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 fresh red chilli, grated
2.5cm ginger, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C/ gas 6.
- Mix the potatoes in a roasting tin with the oil and salt, then transfer to the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the dressing. Depending on your brand of peanut butter, you may need to add a little more coconut milk so you have a thick, spoonable dressing consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Once the potatoes have had 40 minutes, add the green beans and beansprouts. Add a splash more oil if needed, then return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the potatoes and vegetables with the coriander and serve warm or at room temperature, with the dressing alongside.
- Note: Check the seasoning of the dressing by putting a little bit on a cooked potato, and tasting. Add more soy sauce to the rest of the dressing as needed.
Taken from The Green Roasting Tin by Rukmini Iyer