Anyone for a gluten free victoria sponge recipe? Yes please! This recipe comes from the king of baking himself, Paul Hollywood
Paul says: “I do baking demos around the country these days, and I’ve found that someone will always ask about gluten-free alternatives. The key to the best gluten-free flour is to mix different kinds together as they all have different qualities. The texture of this cake isn’t quite as soft as a regular Victoria sandwich; it’s more like a Madeira cake and tastes great.”
You will need:
- 225g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 50g quinoa flour
- 80g white rice flour
- 50g tapioca flour
- 50g coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- To finish
- 100g raspberry jam
- 150g whipping cream
- Icing or caster sugar, for dusting
- Heat your oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease the base and sides of two 20cm loose-based cake tins and line the bases with baking parchment.
- Sift all the flours together with the baking powder and xanthan gum into a bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add the flour mixture and fold in, using the spatula or a large metal spoon until just fully incorporated.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins and gently smooth the surface with a palette knife to level.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25–30 minutes, or until the sponges are risen, golden and slightly shrunk from the sides of the tins. Leave in the tins for a few minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Choose the best-looking sponge for the top layer and then lay the other one, top side down, on your serving dish. Spread the jam over this bottom layer.
- Whip the cream in a bowl to soft peaks and spread on top of the jam then place the other cake layer on top. Dust with sifted icing or caster sugar to finish.
Taken from A Baker’s Life by Paul Hollywood (Bloomsbury)
Read more: Gluten free breakfast bar recipe