Take your spiralizer usage to the next level with this Gordon Ramsay courgetti recipe. Perfect for when you fancy a lighter dinner
If you struggle to satisfy your taste buds on a calorie-controlled diet them this Gordon Ramsay courgetti recipe is just what you need. Pair it with turkey meatballs to stay within your macros without staying bored.
You will need:
- 4 large courgettes, trimmed
- Olive oil, for frying
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
For the meatballs:
- 500g lean turkey mince
- 1 small onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tomato sauce:
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- Using a spiralizer, julienne peeler or mandolin, turn the 4 courgettes into spaghetti. Put to one side until ready to cook.
- Put the turkey mince into a mixing bowl with the chopped onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, beaten egg and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix everything together until thoroughly combined.
- With wet hands, roll the mixture into 20 meatballs and put them on to a plate. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and add a dash of olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and sauté for 5–6 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the tomato purée and continue to cook for 2 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, balsamic vinegar and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir everything together and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- To cook the meatballs, place a frying pan over a medium heat and add a dash of oil. Once hot, brown the meatballs in batches, turning frequently so they colour on all sides. Transfer to the pan with the tomato sauce to cook for a further 10 minutes until cooked through, turning from time to time. (If the sauce becomes too thick, add 50–100ml of water.)
- Add an extra teaspoon of oil to the frying pan the meatballs were browned in and gently sauté the courgette spaghetti over a medium heat, tossing occasionally, for 3–5 minutes, until soft but with a slight bite.
- Divide the courgette spaghetti between serving bowls and top with the meatballs. Sprinkle with Parmesan, if using.
Recipes extracted from Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Fit Food by Gordon Ramsay, published by Hodder & Stoughton
Photographer to credit: Jamie Orlando Smith