A simple lentil recipe that’ll help introduce pulses to your diet in a delicious way
Healthy comfort food is hard to find, so we’re all about Pulse by Jenny Chandler which is jam packed with delicious lentil recipes.
You will need:
- 200 g/7 oz fine green beans, topped but not tailed
- 4 cornichons or small gherkins, sliced
- simple lentil salad (see p.118 of Pulse or Jenny’s blog post here)
- 4 x 85 g/3 oz fillets of hot-smoked salmon, flaked into large pieces
- 3 eggs, boiled for 6 minutes (see p.249), shelled and quartered
For the herby creme fraiche:
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- salt and pepper
1. Steam or boil the green beans until just tender and then refresh them under the cold tap to keep them crisp and bright. Drain well.
2. Stir the cornichons and green beans through the lentil salad, taste and check the seasoning.
3. Mix together the crème fraîche, herbs and mustard and season to taste. Crème fraîche is naturally slightly sour, but you might want to add a dash of vinegar or lemon juice.
4. Arrange the salmon and eggs on top of the lentils and serve with a spoonful of the crème fraîche.
Not a fan of salmon? Try smoked trout or smoked mackerel instead. If you’re cooking on a budget, use canned chickpeas or tuna instead of the salmon and add some roasted red pepper for a salade Niçoise with a twist. Replace the creamy dressing with a good vinaigrette.
Pulse by Jenny Chandler is available now