Put an Italian twist on your next apple crumble thanks to this delicious recipe from Melissa Forti
Impress at your next dinner party with this delicious Stufato Alle Mele Aplle, or Italian apple crumble recipe.
You will need:
- 200g (scant 1 cup) butter, chilled and diced, plus extra, softened, for greasing
- 5 Reinette (Gray Pippin), Cox or Gala apples
- 70g (½ cup) caster (granulated) sugar
- 50g (2oz) ground almonds
- 50g (2oz) raisins
- 150g (1¼ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 50g (¼ cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°/350°F. Butter a round baking or pie dish and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut into chunks. Place in the baking dish and sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of the caster sugar, the ground almonds and the raisins.
- Put the flour, remaining caster sugar and brown sugar, cinnamon and diced butter in a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Spread the crumble evenly over the apples and bake for 40 minutes, until lightly golden and bubbling. Serve warm with or without custard.
Taken from The Italian Baker by Melissa Forti (Quidrille Publishing / Images: Danny Bernardini)
Read more: Roz Purcell’s veggie noodle pot