Panzanella is a super easy and super delicious summer recipe, here’s Jamie Oliver’s version
If you’re never heard of panzanella, it’s basically a Tuscan tomato and bread salad which is a great way to use up all the left over bits and bobs that you may have lying around the kitchen. We love the Jamie Oliver recipe which is easy to make and tastes delicious.
You will need:
- 200 g stale ciabatta loaf
- 600 g ripe mixed tomatoes, , roughly chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful small capers , drained
- 1 small red onion , peeled and very finely sliced
- 280 g jarred red peppers , drained and roughly chopped
- 8 anchovy fillets in oil , drained and finely sliced (optional)
- Eed wine vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A bunch of fresh basil
- Tear the ciabatta into rough 3cm pieces and place on a tray. Leave aside in a warm place for around 30 minutes – this helps to dry it out.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rinse the capers, squeezing out any excess liquid and add to the bowl, along with the onion, peppers, ciabatta and anchovies, if using. Toss the mixture together with your hands, then stir in 2 tablespoons of vinegar and about 3 times as much extra virgin olive oil. Taste and add a little more salt, pepper, vinegar or oil, if needed.
- Tear in the basil leaves, stir together and serve. Delicious with barbecued meats or roast chicken.