Ready in less than half an hour, this Jamie Oliver piri piri chicken recipe is the ideal upgrade for your midweek dinners
Sick of eating the same thing all the time? Then add this Jamie Oliver piri piri chicken recipe to your dinner rotation and watch people come back for seconds, and maybe thirds
You will need:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- Olive oil, to cook
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 bird’s-eye chillies
- 2 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 lemons
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 chicken thighs (skin on)
- Get all your ingredients and equipment ready. Turn the oven on to 200°C/gas mark 6. Put a large griddle pan on a high heat.
- Put the chicken thighs on a plastic chopping board, skin side down, and slash the meat on each one a few times. Drizzle with olive oil and season, then put on the griddle pan that is heating up, skin side down. Cook until golden underneath, then turn over. Wash your hands.
For the piri piri sauce
- Peel and roughly chop the red onion and add to the liquidiser with four peeled cloves of garlic.
- Add the chillies (stalks removed), two tablespoons of paprika, the zest of two lemons and juice of one lemon.
- Add four tablespoons of white wine vinegar, two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, a good pinch of salt & pepper, the large bunch of basil and a swig of water. Blitz until smooth.
- Slice the peppers into strips and add to the griddle pan. Turn the heat down to medium and keep moving the peppers around. Pour the piri piri sauce into a snug-fitting roasting tray.
- Lay the peppers on top and put aside. Add the chicken to the roasting tray with the sauce. Scatter over the sprigs of thyme, then put the tray into the middle of the oven.
- Cook on the top shelf for around 10 minutes, or until cooked through. To serve, get the tray of chicken out of the oven, sprinkle over a few coriander leaves and take straight to the table.
Taken from 30 Minute Meals by Jamie Oliver