Ramen is one of the easiest and most delicious of all dishes, so why not try this recipe for slow cooked pork ramen?
Bord Bia is calling for the people of Ireland to take on the #PorkNight Challenge. On a night of their choosing, Bord Bia is asking people go beyond their usual recipe repertoire and try something new, with pork as the central ingredient. So what do you think? Could this slow cooked pork ramen recipe become a household staple?
Time: Slow Cooker 7 hours / Oven 2.5 hours
You can cook this in the oven if you don’t have a slow cooker. Just place all the ingredients in an ovenproof casserole dish, cover and cook at Gas Mark 3, 160°C (325°F) for two hours.
You will need:
1kg lean, boneless pork shoulder, cut into 4 equal pieces
2 tablesp. rapeseed or olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
5cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
1 ltr homemade or low salt chicken stock
1 leek, halved lengthwise and coarsely chopped
100g button mushrooms, brushed clean and coarsely chopped 3 tablesp. soy sauce
1-2 tablesp. Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
6 large eggs
250g ramen or udon noodles
4 scallions, finely chopped
1 tablesp. sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Season the pork with a little salt and black pepper. Brown the pork in batches then transfer it to the slow cooker. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, garlic and ginger to the frying pan. Cook for about five minutes until softened. Stir in about 200mls of the stock. Bring to the boil, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from the pan. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the leek, mushrooms and remaining 800mls of stock to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on the high-heat setting for 6 hours. The pork should be very tender at this stage.
- When the pork is cooked transfer it to a cutting board. Using 2 forks, break the pork into bite-sized chunks, removing and discarding any fat. Strain the broth through a fine sieve. Discard the solids. Return the pork and broth to the slow cooker and season to taste with soy sauce and hot sauce. Cover and cook on the low-heat setting for about 30 minutes to warm through.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes for soft centre. Allow an extra 2 minutes for hard boiled eggs. Run under cold water to cool the eggs, peel and set aside. Cook the noodles as per the packet instructions.
- To serve: Divide the noodles evenly between individual bowls. Add the pork and broth to the bowls then sprinkle over the scallions, add the halved eggs, drizzle over a little hot sauce and sprinkle on the sesame seeds. Serve immediately
READ MORE: Cumin, carrot and egg buddha bowl recipe