Think you can only eat soup during winter? Try this sweetcorn soup recipe and prepare to think again
Soup isn’t just for winter months you know, opt for in season ingredients and like summer flavours to bring this easy meal into summer time. We love this sweetcorn soup recipe, which tastes so fresh and healthy.
You will need:
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ red bird’s eye chilli, seeds removed and finely sliced (reserve other half for topping)
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely sliced
- 200g sweetcorn
- 1 yellow or orange pepper
- 500ml milk
For the topping
- 150g white crab meat
- 1 lime, zest and juice to taste
- ½ red bird’s eye chilli, finely sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 handful coriander, chopped
- 1 handful chives, or 1 small spring onion, chopped
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion for 10 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, chilli and lemongrass and cook for two minutes more before adding the sweetcorn and pepper. Stir to heat through for a couple of minutes, then add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Immediately reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Blitz the soup and adjust the seasoning, adding a little milk to loosen to your desired consistency.
- Mix all the ingredients for the crab salad, season with salt and pepper and serve on top.
Taken from Just Soup by Henrietta Clancy (Short Books, €16.99 / Image: Romas Foord)