Well known for its health boosting benefits, tumeric is fast becoming the spice of 2018. But, how can you introduce it into your daily diet? By drinking tumeric milk of course!
Turmeric is a spice with a range of health benefits. It has been used in India and China for thousands of years for its therapeutic abilities. It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric is also excellent for arthritis, inflammatory skin conditions, digestion, immunity, age related diseases, heart disease, pain relief, and detoxification.
Recipe for golden milk.
You will need:
For the tumeric paste
- ¼ cup turmeric powder
- ½ cup spring water
- 1-2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
For the milk
- 1 tsp organic coconut oil
- ½ – 1 tsp turmeric paste
- 1-2 cups almond/coconut milk
- 1 tsp raw honey (or maple if vegan)
- Mix water with turmeric powder in a pan and slowly heat on low-medium heat for 6-10 minutes until you get a smooth paste with medium consistency (add some additional water if it is too thick).
- Add black pepper and oil and mix altogether. Allow paste to cool and place into a glass jar, this can refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, or freeze.
- Mix all ingredients except the honey together over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Once it is cool enough add the honey and enjoy.
Drink daily. The paste can also be taken straight from the jar by consuming 1 tsp per day straight off the spoon or add to smoothies or natural yoghurts.
Jacqueline Ryan graduated in nutritional therapy from the College of Naturopathic Medicine. CNM trains students for careers in a range of natural therapies, including naturopathic nutrition, herbal medicine, acupuncture and naturopathy. For more information visit naturopathy.ie