A delicious vegan pasta sauce recipe from the woman behind The Little Vegan Kitchen
Speaking about the this vegan pasta recipe, Tanya says: “You may like to use this sauce just for pasta but it makes a great dipping sauce and salad dressing too, just add a little more water to loosen up the consistency. This sauce keeps in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. It also freezes well but never makes it to the freezer in my house though as it’s gobbled up far too quickly. The sweet flavour from the tomatoes and the cheesy back notes from some nutritional yeast make this my current go-to pasta sauce and it takes so little time to make. I think you’ll enjoy this one.”
What you need:
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons of oil (I used sunflower)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of cashews, soaked overnight
- ¼ cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast
- A pinch of salt to taste
- 2 cups of water
- Preheat the oven to 180°. Cut the tops off the garlic cloves and place them in some foil, and drizzle with a little oil. Bring the foil up around them creating a little pouch where air can circulate inside. Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes or until soft. Remove and allow to cool.
- Place the tomatoes in a baking tray and cover in some of the oil, gently move them around to coat them evenly with the oil. Bake for about 30 minutes, they should be a little golden on the outside but not black.
- While the garlic and tomatoes are roasting heat the rest of the oil over a medium heat and add the onions, sauté until translucent.
- When the garlic is cooked and cool enough to touch, squeeze each clove into a food processor and add the tomatoes and onions, basil, cashews and nutritional yeast. Add one cup of water and pulse. Slowly add some of the second cup a little at a time until you reach your preferred consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Cook the pasta to the packet instructions and strain when the pasta is still al dente keeping one cup of the pasta water. Place a pan over a medium heat on the hob and add the desired amount of sauce followed by the pasta. Heat through and add a little of the saved pasta water at a time to the pan to loosen the sauce to your desired consistency. Once the pasta is cooked season to taste.
- Share and enjoy!