A comfort food recipe from The Tiny Vegan Kitchen
You will need:
For the pasta:
200g of wholemeal pasta, or pasta of your choice
2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
1 organic lemon, unwaxed
1 tbsp of olive oil
Basil and rocket leaves, for finishing
Salt and pepper, to season
For the pesto:
1 cup of parsley
1 cup of basil leaves
100g pumpkin seeds
Juice of half lemon
80ml olive oil
1 tbsp of vegan parmesan grated, optional
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan until they pop. Allow to cook before adding them to a food processor with the herbs and garlic and whizz on a low-speed. Add the vegan parmesan now if using. Slowly add the lemon juice, salt and finish with the oil.
- Add some salt to a pan of boiling water and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Cook until fairly al dente. Before draining save 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and set to the side.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and gently cook the garlic. You want to do this on a low heat so that all of the flavours are released but so that the garlic does not burn. A little browning is fine.
- Grate in the rind of the lemon and add two tablespoons of the pumpkin seed pesto to the pan and stir. Add the pasta followed by a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water. The pasta will continue to cook. Use enough water to loosen up the dish but you don’t want to overcook the pasta.
- Half and deseed the avocado and using a knife cut criss-cross lines into each half, and scoop out the avocado into the pan. Gently fold into the mix.
- Season to taste and finish with the juice of the lemon and a little oil if needed. Top with some basil and rocket leaves.