Lacking inspiration for healthy dinner recipes? Look no further than AVOCA’s Vegetarian Chilli, so flavoursome you won’t miss the carne! Packed full of veggies and deliciousness, this is the ultimate Winter warmer dish to get you through the cold evenings.
Makes 6-8 portions
You will beed:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon smoked chipotle chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 red pepper, chopped into small dice
- 50g puy lentils
- 50g beluga lentils
- 50g bulgur wheat
- 50g pearl barley
- 1 x 450g tin of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 150ml white wine
- 300g of tomato passata
- 250ml fresh vegetable stock
- 50g fresh coriander, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the lentils, barley and bulgur in cold water for an hour and then drain.
- In a very large pot sweat the diced onion and pepper in the olive oil on a very low heat until translucent.
- Add the spices, chilli, garlic and ginger and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until fragrances are released.
- Next, increase the heat slightly and add the wine, let it cook out for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomato and 2 cups of stock along with the soaked grains, lentils & chickpeas.
- Simmer gently for around 20 minutes or until grains and lentils are soft and plump. You may need to add extra stock as it simmers, and the grains absorb the liquid, just keep topping it up as needed.
- Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add freshly chopped coriander.
- Serve with short-grain or basmati brown rice, some guacamole and a dollop of yoghurt for a healthy heart-warming dish.