We’re obsessed with The Viking Method so when Svava Sigbertsdottir releases a book we sit up and take notice! This pesto chicken and sweet potato one tray wonder recipe is the perfect post-training meal
Speaking about her recipe, Viking Svava says: “My mum created this recipe and it has become a weekly regular for me and my daughter, Raven! It is absolutely delicious.”
You will need:
1 tsp coconut oil
2 small to medium sweet potatoes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 mini chicken breast fillets
2 tbsp kale and walnut pesto
70g goat’s milk feta, chopped finely
185g tinned kidney beans, drained
70g kale, washed and dried, ripped into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and grease a roasting tray with the coconut oil.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, or scrub them with a vegetable brush, and cut them into chips. Arrange the chips in the roasting tray, season with salt and pepper, and put into the oven to cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and turn the chips so they cook evenly. Create some space in the tray and add the chicken fillets. Brush a thick layer of pesto over the chicken, then crumble over the feta. Put the tray back into the oven and cook for another 20–25 minutes. The sweet potato should be soft and coloured at the edges and the chicken cooked through but still juicy. (Slice into the thickest part to check, if you are unsure – the meat should be white and the juices clear.)
- About 5 minutes before the chicken and chips are ready, add the kidney beans and the kale to the tray, mixing everything together (without disturbing the chips too much) and seasoning again.
- Serve straight from the oven.
Taken from The Viking Method by Svava Sigbertsdottir